Weekend Thoughts-The Woes of The Fallen


Last September I took a nasty spill down a flight of stairs. I came away from that incident with a severe concussion and badly bruised muscles in my lower back. A little over two weeks ago I went to the doctor because my lower back muscles kept flaring up. I was not sleeping well and I was having trouble doing my daily activities. My doctor gave me special exercises to do specifically for my lower back and he put me on a regimen of 2400mg of Ibuprofen a day for two weeks.

My back was slowly improving until two things happened. The first thing was I fell down the stairs again. This time, I did not fall from the top of the stairs but more like the middle and I fell forward. I wound up sliding on my left arm, hitting the landing and then rolling down the last two steps. I did not hit my head this time but I think I did hurt my back more.

A week later, I was scheduled to go back to work. My doctor put a lot of restrictions on my work duties so I should have had no issues, right? Wrong! I was working in a clothing warehouse. I was organizing racks of clothing. It is a job I had done before so I thought it would be alright. I did not account for the fact that I would be standing on concrete all day and everything would be out of my reach so I would have to do a lot of bending down and reaching up. After three days I was sitting in an office chair and I could not stand up because my lower back hurt so bad. A coworker pushed me to the front door in the chair so I could wait for my fiancé to come pick me up.

That happened last Thursday and I have not been back to work since then. I talked to my supervisor today and she strongly suggested I get my doctor to take me out of work again because if I don’t she will probably have to fire me because I will have missed three days in my first two weeks of working there. Her policy is to fire anyone who misses three days within their first 30 days of working for her. I haven’t had the best luck with doctors taking me out of work in the past but this is a different doctor so hopefully, it won’t be a fight. I go to the doctor tomorrow afternoon.

Just to end on a good note, I crashed the family reunion of a very close friend of mine (we’ve known each other for 20 years) on Saturday. I had been bed-ridden for a couple of days and I really needed to get out of the house. I was not able to do much but it was nice to meet her family members that I have been hearing about for 2 decades. I also got to watch my fiancé play basketball with a 52-year-old and a 15-year-old. It was the highlight of a rough weekend.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s